Catholic Cemeteries & Funeral Services – Archdiocese of Toronto (CCFS) is currently looking for several part-time Funeral Service Representatives, Family Services to join our team at Holy Cross Catholic Funeral Home.
The Funeral Service Representative, Family Services will report to the Funeral Home Manager and/or the senior Funeral Director on duty. This position assists in the activity of both the operational and administrative needs of the Funeral Home. You are responsible for consistently providing CCFS families and their guests with a positive and supportive experience while at our facility.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide CCFS families and their guests with exceptional, professional and courteous service during all funeral visitations and services, meetings and events throughout our facility(s).
- Greet and direct families and visitors in attendance for funeral visitations and/or funeral services while at the receiving area of the funeral home, in a professional and courteous manner.
- Answer a multi-line phone system and promptly direct incoming calls from CCFS families, visitors, clergy, suppliers and contractors to the appropriate staff member.
- Monitor security cameras at the front desk to ensure activities within the funeral home are flowing and no immediate attention from staff is required.
- Provide accurate information to all phone inquiries regarding active CCFS Funeral Services, operational hours, funeral home directions, etc. Re-direct calls as required.
- Perform administrative duties: update and distribute various daily reports, as directed, back up to Receptionist position during breaks or for absences due to scheduled days off, vacation, illness, etc.; assist with overflow of administrative work as directed.
- Guide families to arrangement rooms and provide refreshments as required.
- Ensure arrangements rooms are checked for cleanliness and re-organized after each family appointment, as required.
- Assist funeral home employees when there is a gap or added assistance needed to successfully complete the various tasks involved in the carrying out of a visitation, mass, funeral, arrangement appointment, event, etc.
- Assist Funeral Home Staff in the preparation of visitations, masses, funerals and events. This includes and is not limited to: the set up and reset of visitation room with possible arrangement of furniture; set up, removal and transfer of floral tributes, ensure prayer cards are printed and readily available and the appropriate donation cards available at the front desk.
- Assist staff to ensure that the Funeral Home remains sanitized, clean and presentable at all times. Conduct general light housekeeping duties for all common areas including the cleanliness of washrooms and ensure they have all required supplies, dusting, arrangement rooms, visitation rooms, overall funeral home facilities, etc.
- Ensure the funeral home coffee lounge is properly stocked and all equipment, furniture cleaned before and after each use, each scheduled visitation/mass or event and/or on a daily basis, as required.
- Follow all safety and sanitation policies in accordance to procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Completion of High School Diploma or greater
- Minimum of 1 year experience at front desk, customer service or administration experience
- Superior communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and cohesively within a team
- Professional appearance and demeanour are essential
- Must be able to lift items weighting 50 lbs, bend, twist, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time
- Requires an understanding of the Roman Catholic Beliefs and Practices surrounding funerals and grieving
- Valid Ontario Driver’s G License in good standing and clear Police Record Check
- Ability to speak or understand a second language would be an asset
Hours of Work:
- Shifts range from 5 to 10 hours, up to 3 shifts per week from Sunday to Saturday
This position requires flexibility during day shifts (8am-4:30pm) and evening shifts (4:30-9:30pm) and availability during weekends. The incumbents must be able to commit to 3 shifts during the week and be available during weekends. This is a great opportunity for mature students who have flexibility during their post-secondary school schedule.
elevated poMtO We are committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process for the purpose of hiring the most qualified applicants for all positions. We truly appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those whose skills and qualifications meet our requirements will be contacted. In compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), CCFS provides suitable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If contacted by our Human Resources department and you require accommodations, please inform them of the nature of the accommodation(s) that you may require to ensure your equal participation. Please note that all resumes submitted will be kept on file for a six-month period.
Interested candidates who share our vision to provide compassionate care for a broad spectrum of bereavement services and are looking for a unique and mutually rewarding employment experience are invited to submit their resume and cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org.