elevated T7Yof Vittorina (Carnale) Zuccaro was born in Supino, Italy, on December 11, 1922 to her loving parents Vittorio and Filomena as well as her older brothers Antonio, Luigi, Amerigo.  Giuseppe was born later.  Even at a young age Vittorina was introduced to hard work as he came from a family of shepherds and producers of fresh pecorino cheese.  Every morning, at first light, she would escort her sheep to the fresh spring water atop Santa Serena.  This is where she got used to much walking/climbing up and down the mountain.  During the war, she worked with Angelina (Mancini) Rossi in Collefero.  Rising at 3:30 am the two, along with others from Supino would walk 1 ½ hours to Ferentino, take the train for 40 minutes then walk for 20 minutes to reach the munitions plant.  After a normal 10-hour work day, the return trip home was just as tiring – and she never complained!!

elevated T7Yof After a short courtship with her sweetheart Antonio they married on March 18, 1943 and then he went off to war.  Vittorina was left with his parents and to help work their land. After his return, they started with family with the arrival of Mario in June 1948 and then Alfredo in May 1952.  In 1953, Antonio left for Canada to find work and make a better life for his family.  He first settled in Windsor with his brother Amerigo but later, due to lack of work in the area, he moved to Toronto, bought a home and finally in July, 1958 they were reunited once more.  Vittorina and Antonio were always happy to lend a helping hand and so for many years they had one or more nephews, Vittorio and MariaAngelina Carnale, Roberto and Guerrino(Gary) Bonanni, and Tonino and Giuliana Bonanni just to name a few.  Vittorina worked throughout this time but also cooked, cleaned, did laundry and ironing for everyone – and she never complained!  Plus there was always company that stopped by and never a shortage of food and drink to share.

elevated T7Yof Having suffered as a prisoner of war, Antonio suffered poor health and therefore spent much time in hospital or at home in bed.  Vittorina had even more pressures on her shoulders in order to provide for her family.  After Vittorina was left widowed in 1967, she was on her own to raise and provide for her sons while also taking care of the house, garden and make sure her tenants were always happy too – and she never complained!!! Her close friends and family became even more dear to her as she appreciated their company and moral support.  Her friendship with Angelina and Nazzareno Rossi became even stronger.

elevated T7Yof She had several jobs over the years, her last one was working for her nephew Gary Bonanni at Sea Queen.  During her time there she generously kept many female family and friends supplied with bathing suits.  She also loved to travel to Acapulco, Italy and later with her friends in the Villa Colombo Day Program – even going away annually for a week to Wasaga Beach.  Vittorina worked hard all her life and even after she retired at the age of 65, with her great health she continued to keep busy cultivating her vegetable garden, taking care of her lawn, even shovelling the snow until her early 90s!!  She loved to take her daily walks around the block and talk to her neighbours and other friends she met along the way.  Even though she never mastered the English language very well, she actually understood more than she let on.  She was quite independent in managing her daily financial affairs, her tenants, sightseeing around Toronto, going to the Exhibition or the Johnny Lombardi Canada Day Celebrations with Maria Rossi and Maria Boni.  Her nightly telephone conversations with her Comare Angelina were the highlight of her days!  Once her grandchildren, including the pets Simon, Lucy and Harley, started arriving she was busy doting on them and making sure she had baked treats or great meals for them when they visited. After being hospitalized in December 2016 for a month, she could no longer be left on her own and decided to move into Villa Colombo Toronto where he was very familiar with the surroundings and the staff and participants of the Seniors’ Day Program.  She felt right at home and everyone welcomed her with open arms. She soon made new friends especially Adriana in the room next door.  The two of them were inseparable and were often seen walking the halls together or sitting discussing the latest news events they had seen on TV.  Even though she started to slow down in the last year, she never gave up trying to get out of bed and taking her daily walks with her walker.  She looked forward to her family visiting, even the dogs!  Her favourite past time was all the socializing done either in the activity room on Fidani First Floor or meeting friends near the fountain in the main lobby and attending mass in the chapel.  Of late she especially loved the daily assistance given to her by Franca who kept her company and took her downstairs and outside for a change of scenery when she couldn’t manage on her own.

elevated T7Yof Due to the pandemic, she was quite lonely since early March as no one could visit but all the residents managed to keep each other company.  In late April she was admitted to Sunnybrook for observation and could have returned to Villa Colombo the following week had it not been for Villa Colombo’s lock-down as a result of the COVID virus.  While at Sunnybrook she enjoyed being taken outside for fresh air and music concerts and was seen clapping for joy!!

elevated T7Yof Even though she was looking forward to returning to her friends at Villa Colombo it was not meant to be.  She was becoming increasingly weak until the morning of July 13th when she closed her eyes for the last time.  Everyone is saying “she had such a great long life” – in fact it was long but she had her share of hardship and sadness but never gave up – and she never complained!! – she persevered and worked hard to make a better life for herself and her sons. She has now joined her beloved Antonio once again after a long separation. 

elevated T7Yof Mourning her absence are her sons Mario (Josie), and Alfredo (Rita); her grandchildren Marco (Cristina); Nadia (Paul); Andrea (James); and Jennifer (Steven) as well as her loving great-grandchildren Gabriella, Isabelle, Marcus, and Olivia.  She was predeceased by all her brothers. Her many nieces, nephews, as well as numerous friends in Ontario, Michigan, California, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Supino, Italy have such fond memories of great times spent in fun and laughter with “Zia Vittorina” so that her legacy will live on forever. Rest in Peace Vittorina!

elevated T7Yof Donations in Vittorina’s name can be made to a charity of your choice.

elevated T7Yof Due to COVID restrictions, only immediate family will participate in visitation and funeral mass but everyone is invited to join us through the webcast link provided.

elevated T7Yof https://admin.oneroomstreaming.com/email/view/aa6d48f4b3

elevated T7Yof Mario, Alfredo and family sincerely thank you for all your prayers, calls, emails, etc – your show of support and consolation, at this most difficult time, is much appreciated.